Café and shop
200 years ago, these beautiful rooms made up the ballroom, garden room and cabinet at Solliløkken, the stately Empire-style home of Cabinet Minister Hans Christian Petersen (1793–1862). Here, Christiania’s high society once rubbed shoulders at soirees and balls. Solliløkken was hospitable house in the 1800s, providing a meeting place for many famous women and men in Norwegian literature and history, including Waldemar Thrane, Camilla Collett and Johan Sebastian Welhaven.
The cabinet was frequently used by Minister Petersen for his card games, a popular activity among gentlemen of the time.
The garden room originally lay at the house’s mid-axis looking out onto the garden, but has here been placed between the cabinet and the ballroom.
The ballroom was the most elaborate room in the house, typical of late Empire style and here reconstructed in its original dimensions. The stucco decorations on the walls and ceiling are originals from Solliløkken, as are the doors and the framing and décor of the windows. The sculptured stoves of Ceres (goddess of fertility) were crafted by Jacob Aall’s ironworks at Nes (ca.1822).
In the summer of 1940, Solliløkken was torn down to make room for the new building of the Oslo Handelsgymnasium (Oslo Commerce School), and the three rooms were rebuilt at The Museum of Decorative Arts and Design.
The café serves hot and cold beverages and pastries. The shop and café have the same opening hours as the museum.
The shop at the Museum of Decorative Arts and Design offers a broad range of craft and design products, postcards and books.